Meigle
Blairgowrie
Perthshire
Drumkilbo House
Tel : +44 (0)1202 823353
Friday 24 November 2017
 
  home    history   facilities   accommodation   gardens   weddings   local area   activities   news   events   information   enquiries   links 

The Gardens and Grounds
Drumklibo House lies amid sixteen acres of designed gardens.

The Shrubbery

Whether you are inclined to take a morning stroll before breakfast, or prefer an evening walk in the floodlit grounds after dinner, or simply wish to find a shady place on the formal terraces in which to relax with a good book and a glass of wine, the gardens will enhance your stay and match your aspirations perfectly.

Flower BorderThe Drumkilbo gardens have attracted many visitors through the years, and are now open to the public once a year as part of Scotland's Garden Scheme. The sixteen acres of landscaped grounds contain many fine mature specimen trees, azalea and rhododendron walks, a walled garden, and croquet lawn.

The structure of the formal garden was designed by Sir Robert Lorimer working for the Cox family in 1920. The garden consists of two terraces surrounded by majestic trees recently catalogued by the Royal Botanic Society in Edinburgh. The walled garden enjoys superb views of the Sidlaw Hills. Its May asparagus is locally renowned, as are its award-winning fruits and vegetables.

The Woodland Garden
The Woodland Garden divides into two main areas. The first is located around the entrance drive; the second lies under the woodland shelter belts enclosing the policies. Several large trees are worthy of note, including a sweet chestnut planted in 1750 and two magnificient limes dating from 1800. The entrance drive is dominated by a large copper beech and an enormous yellow azalea. The tulip tree, surviving through an offshoot, was said to be the oldest in Scotland.

AzaleaTo the north of the drive, across the old tennis court, are plantings of primula and hostas, while to the east of the drive, attractive grass glades have been cut out of the woodland and filled with interesting trees and shrubs. One glade leads to an old elm that is about 200 years old; around another corner are two oaks, quercus rubra and quercus ilex, probably planted by the Cox family. The beds are planted with small trees such as magnolia kobus and a good example of cornus nuttallii. Under these trees, species of rhododendron and other shrubs are carefully arranged, and it was here that Lord Elphinstone planted his collection of lilies. On the other side of the drive, there is a group of lilac and dumach, rhus typhina.

The Formal Garden
This is located on the west side of the House. The garden structures were designed by Sir Robert Lorimer in about 1920. The garden consists of two terraces separated by a low retaining wall and linked by steps and a small paved area. A high ten-foot wall and yew hedge separates the formal garden from the drive on its north side, ensuring complete privacy. Sheltered by the wall, a long herbaceous border provides a colourful display during the summer months. A covered pergola on the south side of the wall adjacent to the House overlooks the garden and offers a sunny corner for sitting out.

The Formal Garden

In the lower terrace, which was formerly an orchard, some of the old apple trees have been retained and the curving island beds have been planted with old fashioned roses, Japanese maples, flowering shrubs and groundcover plants. Roses and clematis climb through the trees, and spring bulbs are naturalised in grass swards. Parts of the old shelterbelt planting protects the garden from west winds. There are also several large trees, including a fine specimen of Douglas Fir.

Rhododendron

The Kitchen Garden
This walled garden is located in the south-east corner of the garden, with the eastern wall curving along the boundary between the garden and the adjacent farmland. Along the southern section, where the wall is only 1.7 metres high, there are fine views of the Sidlaw Hills.
The Kitchen Garden
The garden is well stocked with vegetables. Fruit trees are grown against the walls; apple trees along the borders are trained as espaliers. Cut flowers for the House are lined out in rows, while the rose garden contains both floribunda and hybrid-tea roses. A modern greenhouse is filled with a fine display of pot plants, tomatoes and tender climbers.

Join Our Mailing List
Stay in touch - join our free mailing list.
... register

Patio

Roses